ABOUT THE LIBRARY

 

About the Library

Mission: to provide the best possible informational, educational, cultural and recreational services in a warm and inviting environment.

The Thompson Public Library/Community Center is a 20,400 square foot facility. The collection consists of about 55,000 items -- books, books on CD, DVDs & videotapes, music CDs, 90+ magazine & newspaper subscriptions, and access to various online resources.

Our Library by the numbers
July 2013 – June 2014

… 51,527 people visited our Library
… 66,144 books and other items were loaned
… 6,506 individuals have a library card
… 12,876 items loaned to patrons from
neighboring towns
… 3,364 items borrowed from other libraries for
our patrons
… 2,231items loaned to other libraries
… 1,350+ new items added to the collection
… 14,301 reference questions answered
… 5,734 people used the computers for more than
5,650 hours
... 352 programs offered to 7,100+ people

OUR HISTORY

The Thompson Public Library was incorporated in 1902 with a collection of 1,370 books in 1,990 square feet of space. Located on Thompson Hill in a charming stone building, the main library outgrew its space and two branches were opened, one in Grosvenordale in 1958 and one in Quinebaug in 1961.

The year 1966 saw more changes as the Quinebaug branch was enlarged and the Grosvenordale branch was closed. The town of Thompson was the first small town in Connecticut to have a bookmobile service in 1966, acquiring an official vehicle in 1970 that ran until 1993. A new, larger location was established in North Grosvenordale with an innovative After School Program started in 1987.

The new Thompson Public Library/ Community Center is a modern facility that serves the residents of the various villages as well as those from surrounding communities. When the new library was completed in 1994 the branches were closed and bookmobile service was discontinued. Today the library has a collection of 55,000 items with new technology and facilities to offer while maintaining a friendly, personal service.

The book History of the Thompson Library, written by Ron Tillen, is available for purchase at the Library

 

 

 

 

.